Saturday, August 23, 2008

Suenos del Verano





Well, it is that time of year again!  Summer is coming to an end and once again I come to the conclusion that having 2 and 1/2 months off every summer is just not a good thing for me.  Of course, I seem to forget this every May and jump right in with over the top enthusiasm.  It is only when I am about to make a major life change or finally make that appointment with the psychiatrist that I realize...OH, It's that summer thing again...I don't do well with idle time.  Don't get me wrong, it was a fabulous summer.  Ten days in Chicago, ten days in Austin, camping, kayaking, art making and LOTS of family bonding.  Honestly, it was great.  I suppose I am so accustomed to moving at such a fast pace that too much of a slow pace really begins to alter me after a while.  Which might not be a bad thing...hmmmm???  
The girls start Pre-K on Monday and are very excited.  We went to meet the teacher night on Thursday and then to the Mathis Back to School Pep Rally.  Go Pirates!  Man, was it peppy!  Most days I day dream about my escape from Mathis back to the real world, but I have this nagging voice that often tells me I should stay a while.  I guess as an educator your gut instinct is to help kids and try to bring about positive change.  If there is any place on the Planet that children need help and positive change...it is Mathis.  We shall see.  My new job as the Migrant teacher for Pre-K - 12 is certainly giving me a broader look at the entire community.  You know how I love a challenge.  Oh yes, as a side note, I went to the Mathis ISD annual health fair and once again everyone was drinking sodas and they had the chocolate fountain again.  One young co-worker told me that she had her blood sugar levels checked and the nurse told her she was borderline diabetic.  When the girl asked if she should see a doctor because EVERYONE in her family was diabetic the nurse told her "No, you will be fine. Don't worry about it."  Such is life in rural South Texas.  
Party Marty and I have a date tonight...we have been "together" for 6 years of BLISS.  Sure, we have been married 4 years, but I like to count this one instead.... makes me feel more productive.  Why don't people count the dating years anyway?  That was hard work too!
Well, this was supposed to be all about the girls, but it is 7 am and it is all about me.  Oh well, maybe next time!  Take care and keep in touch.  Con carino, Abril

3 comments:

Michelle Buckley said...

nice post--the girls look very different in 'bangs,' but maybe they're just growing up too

EBPitcher said...

It was nice to hear about you! I'm sure we'll hear about the girls more with the start of their school years!
-EBP-

Santa Fe Buckleys said...

Marty, what are you doing with hours of time and no girls??
April, we always celebrate our "been together" date and almost sorta skip the wedding date, I totally get it :))
Hard to believe those pretty little girls are old enough for school. Luca is next....